Raya’s vest completed

Here it is, the finished vest!

Completed Raya's vest, front and back views

Yet again, I’ve decided to apply a pattern by hand. (I did it twice for Tashigi already.) Why do I do this to myself?? I wasn’t sure how well it’d turn out, but it actually looks pretty good!

Close up vest to show teardrop pattern

I did run into a few issues though, which is why the pattern looks so uneven.

  • I ran out of ink twice, so I had to buy a new marker each time. Even though I got the same shade and same brand, the color looked different when the marker was fresh and when it was low on ink.
  • As I went along, the stencil started to get smeared with ink, which I think smeared the ink on the vest. My first application on the front looks a lot more crisp than the back and the sleeves.
  • Some parts looked too faded, so I went back to reapply the pattern, which then made it darker than other parts.

Towards the end, I started purposely reapplying the pattern unevenly (to just some spots, not all), so that it’d have more of a worn look.

Read the rest of this entry »

Start of Raya

I’m back! …again! Between my last cosplay (Kiki) and now, two years have passed, in which I’ve had another kid (2 girls now!) and of course, the pandemic happened. Cosplay hasn’t exactly been on my mind. But then! I watched Raya and the Last Dragon and was immediately inspired.

In the past month, I’ve been drafting new patterns and deciding on what fabric to use. Here is my progress so far!

Raya's yellow shirt and brown vest on a dressform, partially done

The shirt isn’t sewn together yet, but I already have an idea of how it’ll come together. I decided to just use a cotton-poly blend for it. Though I figured out a way to do the shirt with one long strip of fabric, I decided to split the top part and the bottom part into two pieces. That seemed simpler and used less fabric.

Read the rest of this entry »

Making a witch’s broom

You know, with how popular witch costumes are for Halloween, you’d think it’d be easy to buy a witch’s broom, right? WRONG. Every witch’s broom I found was either children’s size or absolutely terrible looking. I figured… why not make my own?

I was able to do it by buying two things:

  1. a broom handle (stick only, no broom head)
  2. a big spool of raffia paper ribbon

I cut a bunch of raffia ribbon. I even brought the spool to work with me to cut some when I had some down time. I grouped them into four bunches, tying each one near the top with raffia ribbon.

4 bundles of raffia paper ribbon on the floor with a broom stick

When it’s split up into smaller groups, it’s a lot easier to handle! From here, I hot glued them to the broom handle, putting the glue on where I tied the bunches together.

4 bundles of raffia paper ribbon glued around the bottom of a broom stick

For the finishing touches, I just secured the raffia ribbon by tying more ribbon around it. I did it in two places to match how Kiki’s broom is tied.

Custom witch's broom with raffia paper ribbon for straw

And that’s it! Very simple to make, doesn’t need much material, and pretty cheap! Plus, looks much better than the witch’s brooms you can buy!