Archive for the 'Zulf' Category

Summary: Zulf’s book

I saved Zulf’s book for last and only made it if I had time after finishing both Bastion costumes. I already knew that I didn’t want to put a real book on his belt. It would have been too heavy. Instead, I went with craft foam.



  • Craft foam
  • Dark brown fabric
  • Matte vinyl
  • Printer paper
  • Hot glue

The Making Of…

Unfortunately, I made the book very quickly and didn’t take any in-progress photos. I’ll do my best to describe how I made it.

Read the rest of this entry »

Summary: Zulf’s Skirt

There were a couple choices on my mind when making Zulf’s skirt: sew together strips of fabric or use fabric paint? In the end, I decided to sew together strips of fabric. I felt like it would look better, and I was afraid painting stripes wouldn’t look very straight.



  • Stripes = quilter’s cotton, blue and yellow
  • Lining = blue broadcloth

The Making Of…

The blue stripes were 3in and the yellow stripes were 2.5in. This includes 1/2 in of seam allowance. This means that after being sewn together, the stripes were 2in (blue) and 1.5in (yellow).

My process was…

  • cut a few stripes out
  • sew them together, alternating colors
  • press the seams open with an iron

I definitely recommend pressing open the seams. It’ll help them lie down flat.

Read the rest of this entry »

Summary: Zulf’s Jacket and Vest

I decided that after I finish each costume, I should write a post summarizing how I created it. That way everything is in one place :) Let’s start with Zulf’s jacket!



  • Main body = “rust” colored suede
  • Sleeves = yellow twill
  • Stripes on sleeves = blue quilter’s cotton (same fabric as vest and skirt)
  • Stripes on bottom = blue twill, white twill, dark blue broadcloth
  • Vest = blue quilter’s cotton

I bought the suede at, and the rest were just at my local fabric stores like Hancock and Joann.


I used Kwik Sew #3485, which is a men’s blazer pattern.

Kwik Sew 3485

Alterations I made are…

  • Back: removed the vent
  • Sleeves: added more room near the armpit and altered the cuffs at the end of the sleeves
  • Collar: extended it so it looks like Zulf’s
  • Pockets and buttons: ignored all parts relating to these
  • Overall: adjusted the length to account for the stripes on the bottom

I didn’t use a pattern for the vest. I just modeled it after a shirt without sleeves.

Read the rest of this entry »