Archive for the 'Phi' Category

Three more off the list

I finished three more pieces to Phi’s costume! The first is her necklace. I debated whether her necklace actually has 3 or 4 beads, but the more I looked at screenshots, the more it looked like there were two at the bottom.


I started with these beads (center of photo) I found at Jo-ann. I thought they might be a good fit for Phi’s necklace, but then I thought they were too small. I used them as a base and made them a bit bigger with Crayola Model Magic. Even though I used black clay, they became a dark gray after they dried, so I painted them with black acrylic paint.


You can see the other two components of the necklace in that photo too. The top is a pack of colored rings. They’re really like keychain rings, and I used a black one from there. The jewelry string on the right is what I used to tie it all together.

The string didn’t hold very well though, so I used hot glue to make sure the knots didn’t budge. After the glue cooled, I painted the spots with black acrylic paint.

Next is Phi’s wig! I bought the Derek in silver from Arda Wigs. This is what it looks like out of the bag:


Read the rest of this entry »

Phi’s jacket, part 2

I’m now done with Phi’s jacket! Here’s how it came out:


Since last entry, I added pocket flaps and positioned them at the bottom of the darts. To save time, I didn’t make actual pockets. (I wanted to originally, but I don’t have much time left until the con.)


Read the rest of this entry »

Phi’s jacket, part 1

I didn’t mean to wait a month until posting again! I had a couple delays on making Phi’s jacket. First, the fabric I wanted was sold out, so I had to pick an alternative and that slowed the shipping of my fabric order.

Next, I underestimated the jacket. I thought it’d be really easy and quick to make, but I had to adjust my pattern a few times. It took me 2 tries to mock up the jacket and like 3 or 4 tries to get the collar right.


The fabric I ended up getting is a Cotton Nylon Twill. I thought about using a lighter fabric like broadcloth to line the jacket, but in the end, I just used the twill on both sides. The jacket is kind of heavy because of that!

The first thing I did was cut out 4 pieces of every jacket part. I sewed the outer parts together, and then I sewed the lining parts together separately.


Read the rest of this entry »